Class 2

Communicating In Second Life

I still feel like a newborn lamb in second life, stumbling around the place trying to find my feet. Talking to a few of second life's residents i got a better understanding of what its all about while having interesting conversations. I did find it hard to find people to talk to outside of the chat dedicated spaces and most of the greetings i got where unwelcome. 

The first conversation i had was with G3nuin3 an alleged deputy sheriff in California who assured me he was nothing like Sherlock Holmes.
Muddy's Music Cafe
 In our brief conversation we discussed me going to California or why i shouldn't as its "overrated". G3niun3 told me he wanted to visit Ireland someday and I recommended he spend the majority of his time in the west then one or two days in Dublin. Similar to California, Dublin is also "overrated". I was an easy and well flowing conversation. It was like i was texting him on snapchat or whatsapp. That is something i realised when speaking to people. Second life is just a 3D social media site. 


Anjire in Aenigma 


I had a more informative conversation with Anjire. We talked about why he and others used second life. I got a perspective that had never really come to my mind. Anjire would not tell me anything about his actual life as he used Second life solely to escape from the real world. He told me that he and many others use Second life to roleplay in a variety of different of genres like superhero, sc-fi, fantasy and horror.

Talking with Anjire

Anjire used Second life to escape the real word and relax. This is was my first thought upon using second life. it also seemed to be a hobby of his giving him the ability to act out scenarios he could not in his real life something. This wasn't something that i had thought about but seems appealing and makes complete sense.  

The Blarney Stone, Irish Pub, Dublin

The final conversation i had was with a few people in the Blarney Stone Pub. This was also a very informative conversation despite being made fun of for my terrible spelling. Fortune DLS, a floating fortune cookie, had no time for me and didn't believe i was on second life because of a college module or that i was even a student. 


I also found out that Mizu and Fortune get paid to create content in second life, everything from guns to buildings and in doing this they get paid for it. They also told me that these places stay open through people paying linden, the games currency. That was their reason for playing, creating content. 

I got a better insight into second life through talking to people and why they play second life. To me it seems to be multi functional social media platform giving more life to online communication. The name second life just clicked with me. 

24/02


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

class 5

Class 1

Class 10 & 7