Class 12

Addressing the Topic


10 deals you don't want to miss on Saturday: $128 robot vacuum ...





In the major project our group addressed the global firm Amazon. I think we as a group feel strongly about the topic of the presentation so we were all on the same page. That is also why we decided on a critical yet personal tenor to get our message across to the hard headed executives. In the project I focused on consumption and consumerism and the effect that is having on our planet. I tried to understand the subject from all sides and why it is such a dominant cog in the economic machine. I found that heedless consumption is the bedrock of the environmental crisis that we find ourselves in today. In the Anthropocene I see human’s reckless consumption as the main cause of change to the earth's natural system.


In the project I tried to address the cause of our thoughtless consumption, the effects it has on our planet and possible solutions. I also felt it was important to point to Amazons ‘green pledge’ as a dangerously misleading farce. I also felt it was important to point out to the executives that we fully understood the depth and extent of the cause of the climate emergency. That their attempts of greenwashing were not believed by us. 


The Planet of the Humans documentary was eye opening. The documentary influenced my choice of coming from the angle of consumption. My other argument would have possibly been to ask amazon to stick a few solar panels on top of their warehouses. In retrospect that was ignorant of me. 


I don't believe I berated Amazon, I feel I constructively criticized Amazon and our world's economic model as a whole. I didn't beg or plead, I tried to inspire. I feel that they too had an understanding that something has to change, that change is coming with or without them. Amazon has the ability to create change and it's in their interest to do so. I hope that they will look outward and not inward in the coming years for earth's sake thus humanities. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

class 5

Class 1

Class 10 & 7